[Pacemaker] Configuring 3rd Node as Quorum Node in 2 Node Cluster

Andreas Kurz andreas at hastexo.com
Fri Feb 24 08:26:59 EST 2012

Hello,

On 02/23/2012 03:59 PM, Andrew Martin wrote:
> I set up the 3rd node ("quorum") yesterday by only installing heartbeat,
> not pacemaker. Is pacemaker necessary as well? I commented out the
> following lines in its ha.cf since it is always going to be running in
> standby:
> autojoin none
> mcast eth0 239.0.0.43 694 1 0
> bcast eth0
> warntime 5
> deadtime 15
> initdead 60
> keepalive 2
> node node1
> node node2
> node quorum
> #crm respawn
> #respawn hacluster /usr/lib/heartbeat/dopd
> #apiauth dopd gid=haclient uid=hacluster

Hmm ... IIRC I had to enable ccm in ha.cf on the third node during my
last heartbeat tests to enable a quorum node:

respawn hacluster       ccm

> Since this quorum node only has a single ethernet interface, can it be
> used for both the mcast and bcast parameters? How are both the multicast
> and broadcast pathways used for node communication? After saving these
> parameters and reloading heartbeat on all nodes, the "quorum" node is
> listed as offline in the cluster. Is there something missing in my
> configuration that is preventing it from communicating with the rest of
> the cluster?

cl_status and hbclient should give you some membership information, and
there should be some log entries on the nodes running Pacemaker. I don't
think the node will show up as ONLINE in crm_mon if no Pacemaker is
running there.

You only need the communication settings you also used for node1/2 on
the shared network ... so only the mcast directive is needed/possible on
node3.

> Also, another more general question about the failover - node1 and node2
> are each connected to the shared network over br0 and connected directly
> to each other with a crossover cable over br1:
>       --------------------      ----------
>       |   Shared Network |------| quorum |
>       --------------------      ----------
>         br0  /   \  br0
>            /       \
>  ---------           ---------
>  | node1 | --------- | node2 |
>  ---------     br1   ---------
>
> The corresponding configuration in ha.cf is
> autojoin none
> mcast br0 239.0.0.43 694 1 0
> bcast br1
> warntime 5
>
> If br0 to one of the nodes were to be cut when the "quorum" node was
> down, would they still be able to communicate over br1 (e.g. to maintain
> quorum between themselves and fail over to the other node that still has
> an active br0)?

as long as node1/2 can communicate the cluster has quorum, to fail over
resources to the node with best connectivity: configure ping resource
agent and constraints, there is a chapter in "Pacemake Explained" on
clusterlabs.org ... http://goo.gl/x7dwK

Regards,
Andreas

--