[Pacemaker] Upstart resources

Vladislav Bogdanov bubble at hoster-ok.com
Wed Feb 22 13:45:29 EST 2012

22.02.2012 20:55, Ante Karamatic write:
> On 16.02.2012 05:23, Vladislav Bogdanov wrote:
>
>> Newer versions of pacemaker and lrmd are able to deal with upstart
>> resources via dbus.
>> However I do not like this way, so please find resource-agent attached,
>> which is able to manage arbitrary upstart job (just like Anything but
>> for upstart resources). It already saved me much time and nerves
>> managing libvirtd (with my own upstart job) which you probably already
>> know always wants to SIGABRT (btw I even know the main reason for that
>> and now testing patch which I will hopefully send to libvirt ml).
>
> But, you use 'initctl' in your OCF which also relies on dbus (libdbus,
> to be correct; in both cases running dbus is not a requirement). Reason
> why we didn't use initctl, grep, awk and company, when we developed the
> upstart RAexec, was cause doing it that way was slower. And ugly :)
>
> I guess I'm just interested what do you find wrong or bad with how
> current upstart RAexec is done?

I looked at that RAexec very early, just after it was commited, and I
understand that it requires running dbus daemon to operate. I prefer to
simplify operation chains, so that is really not an option for me to
rely on one more service to do simple job.
Did I miss something?

Anyways, upstart is gone from Fedora, and will go away from EL7, so that
all actually doesn't matter.

Best,
Vladislav