[Pacemaker] problems with cman + corosync + pacemaker in debian

diego fanesi diego.fanesi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 18:43:57 EST 2012

2012/2/21 Florian Haas <florian at hastexo.com>

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM, diego fanesi <diego.fanesi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Actually I'm studying this technology. This is only a test. I'm trying to
> > understand all possible configuration and at the moment I have some
> problems
> > to understand the differences among file systems. Now I'm trying to use
> > ocfs2 and it seems to work well but what is the best alternative?
>
> Both have their pros and cons, to the point that for most people the
> question boils down to which FS is supported on their preferred
> platform -- RHEL/CentOS normally only support GFS2, SLES only OCFS2.
> But you're on Debian, where there's support for both, so it's up to
> you to decide.
>
> > My big question is when should I use one rather than another one? I know
> > glusterfs and, If I'm right, it doesn't need drbd but it is slower than
> gfs2
> > and ocfs2. If I understood you can have the best performance using
> ocfs2, so
> > I'm trying to use it. In case split-brain happens what is the best?
>
> Probably Gluster. :) Any single-instance storage filesystem (that's
> what GFS2 and OCFS2 both are) will freeze, completely, on all nodes,
> until the misbehaving nodes either return to the cluster, or can
> successfully be fenced. That's a very well known aspect of these
> filesystems and solving it is well understood, but still, if you're
> looking for something simple in the face of split brain, you probably
> can't beat Gluster.
>
> > And with mysql. To realize two node active/active there are many ways.
> you
> > can use mysql master/master ndb replication or put data folder in a drbd
> > partition on ocfs2 with the option "external locking" activated.
>
> Get that last idea out of your head immediately. And if you haven't
> got a clue how NDB works, get _that_ idea out of your head, too.

I read the possibility to use drbd with external locking for mysql on the
web but I doubted it. I thought that these people have more experience than
me but now I know that my suspects were true!

I used NDB many years ago. But, if I remember well, it requires another
server to manage the cluster, but I forgot totally what is the way to
configure it.

Thank you for your help, for your time and thank you for the video. Now it
is starting to become all clearer. :)