[Pacemaker] 4 servers; different resources on different servers?

Tim Serong tserong at suse.com
Mon Oct 3 21:12:42 EDT 2011

On 04/10/11 04:06, Nick Khamis wrote:
> I forgot to ask, for creating an asymmetric cluster, do the services
> (mysql, apache etc..) have to
> be installed on all the nodes.

Probably.  Pacemaker will still try to probe resources on all nodes, to
ensure they're not running, then the RA will return "not installed" if
the software isn't installed, and you'll see an error message on that
node.  The error might not matter, but you might not like to see it :)

> And finally is assymetric  active/active?

Assymetric means "resources will never run at all by default, unless you
specifically create location constraints to make them run on some node".

Active/active generally means something like "some set of resources is
running on at least two nodes"[1].  There is no reason you can't do this
with an assymetric cluster.  It just depends what location constraints
you configure.

HTH,

Tim

[1] Depending on your definition, it might also mean "the exact same
resource is running on at least two nodes, e.g.: a clustered filesystem.

--
Tim Serong
Senior Clustering Engineer
tserong at suse.com