[Pacemaker] Query regarding "crm node standby/online" command

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Tue Nov 8 03:45:17 EST 2011

On 2011-11-08 06:22, neha chatrath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Heartbeat and Pacemaker in a cluster with 2 nodes.
> I also have a client registered with Heartbeat daemon for any node/IF
> status changes.

Can you give more details as to the nature of that client?

> When I execute "crm node standby" command on one of the nodes, there is
> no node status change info reported to the client.
> Is this the expected behavior?

I would say yes, as putting a node in standby mode does not change its
status of being a fully-fledged member of the cluster. It still
participates in all cluster communications, it receives all
configuration changes and status updates. It's merely ineligible for
running any resources. So from the cluster communications layer point of
view (i.e. from Heartbeat's or Corosync's perspective) nothing changes.

> Also, one more query about Heartbeat daemon:
> In my system, I have multiple IP interfaces (each configured with a
> separate IP) with Heartbeat running on one of them.
> I have a requirement of monitoring of all these IP interfaces and
> perform necessary actions (like perform failover etc) in case of any
> interface failure.

Well there is no reason to do this externally. You set up fencing using
an out-of-band fencing method. When cluster communications break down,
you fence one node off the cluster, so resources fail over to the other.

As a word of caution, it seems like you're at least headed into the
direction of reinventing the wheel, and it also seems like you are
trying to implement functionality that's already present in the stack.
(This is just a hunch based on the limited information given, however.)
If that is the case, I would strongly suggest you take a look at
Clusters From Scratch and the Linux-HA User's Guide, and possibly also
Pacemaker: Configuration Explained, to better familiarize yourself with
the functionality of the stack.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Florian