[Pacemaker] KVM VM's on internal DRBD volumes

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Sat Jun 18 12:29:50 EDT 2011

One of my clusters (fairly old; heartbeat 3.0.0 on openais) runs
VMs on Xen, with storage being directly on the drbd device.  I
noticed a similar problem where manual failovers were fine but
cluster-initiated failovers failed.  It turned out that setting
a start delay on the xen RA solved the problem:

  op start interval="0" timeout="60" start-delay="45"

I never did any experimentation to determine the minimal working
start-delay value, since it was intermittent to begin with and
I just wanted it to work.

That does mean, however, that it takes a while to fail over the
resource.  Not only do you have to wait for the VM OS to boot
and its services to start, but there is also the delay before
actually starting the VM.

Devin
--
If books were designed by Microsoft, the Anarchist's Cookbook would
explode when you read it.				- Mark W. Schumann