[Pacemaker] Mail notification for fencing action

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 15 17:20:04 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 03:26:56PM -0500, mark - pacemaker list wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM, imnotpc <imnotpc at rock3d.net> wrote:
>

> > What I was thinking is that the DC is never fenced
>

> Is this actually the case?

In a way it is true. Only DC can order fencing and there is
always exactly one DC in a partition. On split brain, each
partition elects a DC and if the DC has quorum it can try to
fence nodes in other partitions. That's why in two-node clusters
there's always a shoot-out. But note that the old DC (before
split brain), if it loses quorum, gets fenced by a new DC from
another partition.

> It would sure explain the one "gotcha" I've
> never been able to work around in a three node cluster with stonith/SBD.  If
> you unplug the network cable from the DC (but it and the other nodes all
> still see the SBD disk via their other NIC(s)), the DC of course becomes
> completely isolated.  It will fence

Fence? It won't fence anything unless it has quorum. Do you have
no-quorum-policy=ignore?

Thanks,

Dejan