[Pacemaker] Dual-primary DRBD problem: Promoted 0 instances of a possible 2 to master

Matt Anderson tuxfan at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 29 07:51:45 EDT 2011

Hi all!

I've been trying to make a simple HA cluster with 3 servers (the 3rd server
is there only to maintain quorum if one node fails). The idea is to run two
virtual domains over dedicated DRBD devices in dual-primary mode (so that
live migration would be possible).

Things worked well for a while, but somewhere during my tests something
went wrong and now the DRBD devices don't get promoted to primary mode by
pacemaker. Pacemaker just keeps starting and stopping the devices in a loop.
If I start DRBD from the init script, both devices are started and
automaticly synced. At first I had this problem only with one device, but
now it's the same with both devices under pacemaker.

Pacemaker and DRBD write a lot of logs [1] [2] [3], but I don't see a reason
why pacemaker doesn't promote any masters.

My guess is that this has something to do with my fencing rules in DRBD [4]
or then just in my pacemaker config [5]. I used to have STONITH enabled, but
since my STONITH devices share the power supply with the server, I've then
removed those settings from my pacemaker config.

I'm running Debian squeeze on amd64 with pacemaker (1.0.11-1~bpo60+1) and
corosync (1.3.0-3~bpo60+1) from backports.

Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it?

[1] http://paste.debian.net/124478/ (DRBD log from on node)

[2] http://paste.debian.net/124479/ (pacemaker log from the same node as above)

[3] http://paste.debian.net/124480/ (pacemaker log from DC)

[4] http://paste.debian.net/124481/ (DRBD common config)