[Pacemaker] Split-site cluster in two locations

Christoph Herrmann C.Herrmann at science-computing.de
Tue Jan 11 04:21:30 EST 2011

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net>
Gesendet: Di 11.01.2011 09:01
An: The Pacemaker cluster resource manager <pacemaker at oss.clusterlabs.org>;
CC: Michael Schwartzkopff <misch at clusterbau.com>;
Betreff: Re: [Pacemaker] Split-site cluster in two locations

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 28 Dec 2010, at 20:32, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have four nodes in a split site scenario located in two computing centers.
> >> STONITH is enabled.
> >>
> >> Is there and best practise how to deal with this setup? Does it make sense to
> >> set expected-quorum-votes to "3" to make the whole setup still running with
> >> one data center online? Is this possible at all?
> >>
> >> Is quorum needed with STONITH enabled?
> >>
> >> Is there a quorum server available already?
> >
> > I couldn't see a quorum server in Pacemaker so I have installed a third dummy
> node which is not allowed to run any resources (using location constraints and
> setting the cluster to not be symmetric) which just acts as a third vote.  I am
> hoping this effectively acts as a quorum server as a node that looses
> connectivity will lose quorum and shut down its services whilst the other real
> node will retain connectivity and thus quorum due to the dummy node still being
> present.
> >
> > Obviously this is quite wasteful of servers as you can only run a single
> Pacemaker instance on a server (as far as I know) so that is a lot of dummy
> servers when you run multiple pacemaker clusters...  Solution for us is to use
> virtualization - one physical server with VMs and each VM is a dummy node for a
> cluster...
>
> With recent 1.1.x builds it should be possible to run just the
> corosync piece (no pacemaker).

As long as you have only two computing centers it doesn't matter if you run a corosync
only piece or whatever  on a physikal or a virtual machine. The question is: How to
configure a four node (or six node, an even number bigger then two) corosync/pacemaker
cluster to continue services if you have a blackout in one computing center (you will
always loose (at least) one half of your nodes), but to shutdown everything if you have
less then half of the node available. Are there any best practices on how to deal with
clusters in two computing centers? Anything like an external quorum node or a quorum
partition? I'd like to set the expected-quorum-votes to "3" but this is not possible
(with corosync-1.2.6 and pacemaker-1.1.2 on SLES11 SP1) Does anybody know why?
Currently, the only way I can figure out is to run the cluster with
no-quorum-policy="ignore". But I don't like that. Any suggestions?

Best regards

  Christoph
--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Dr. Roland Niemeier,