[Pacemaker] Two questions about utilization

Daugherity, Andrew W adaugherity at tamu.edu
Fri Jan 7 12:30:53 EST 2011

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:32:49 +0100
From: Michael Schwartzkopff <misch at clusterbau.com>
Subject: [Pacemaker] Two questions about utilization

Hi,

I am starting the explore the utilization feature in pacemaker-1.1. At the
moment I have two problems:

1) Following Beekhofs blog
http://theclusterguy.clusterlabs.org/post/570381880/feature-spotlight-
utilization

I tried to enter the utilization feature for the nodes. But it seems that the
cluster doesn't like that attribute:

linux-54gl:~ # crm configure node linux-54gl utilization cores=2
linux-54gl:~ # crm configure show
node linux-54gl
node linux-qwyt
(...)

Does anybody have a good explanation why this doesn't work?

What does 'cibadmin -Q' show for the validate-with attribute of the top-level cib object?  If it's "pacemaker-1.0" then utilization won't work.  I encountered this with a cluster I'd first set up on pacemaker 1.0 (SLES11) and later upgraded to 1.1 (SLES11sp1).

You can either blow away the CIB and start over, or dump it, edit it to use pacemaker-1.1, and reload it, which is what I did.  I don't think there's a way to change the validation version from the crm shell.  I may have had to use crm configure edit and add the utilization attributes to the nodes that way, but I did get it working.

If this was your problem, fixing it will probably fix your other issue too.

Andrew Daugherity
Systems Analyst
Div. of Research and Graduate Studies
Texas A&M University