[Pacemaker] Patch: use NFSv4 with RA nfsserver

Vogt Josef Josef.Vogt at telecom.li
Tue Dec 27 06:05:43 EST 2011

Hi all,

I wrote a patch to the ressource agent "nfsserver" which deals with NFSv4 (see attachment). It's now possible to use either NFSv3 or NFSv4 with this ressource agent.
When using nfsv4, the nfsserver always needs about 90 seconds after a failover until the shared directory is writeable again.
For problem description, I found some examples on the Internet:
http://serverfault.com/questions/20465/nfs-v4-ha-migration-and-stale-handles-on-clients
http://oss.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/pacemaker/2011-July/010999.html

In order to get this to work properly, you have to set the two parameters gracetime and leasetime much shorter. Description in the patch.
I tested this on RHEL 6.2 and it works for me - the shared folder is accesible in less than 15 seconds.

You can use it like this:

primitive P_NFSSERVER ocf:heartbeat:nfsserver \
        params nfs_init_script="/etc/init.d/nfs" \
        params nfs_shared_infodir="/var/lib/nfs" \
        params nfs_gracetime="10" \
        params nfs_leasetime="10" \
        params nfs_graceperiod="1" \
        params nfs_version="NFSv4" \
        op monitor interval="15"

I'd be glad if you applied this (or a similar patch) to the official nfsserver ressource agent.
Thanks for your feedback!
Josef Vogt