[Pacemaker] operative tasks for a pacemaker cluster

Tim Serong tserong at novell.com
Wed Apr 13 02:23:06 EDT 2011

On 4/13/2011 at 02:04 AM, mark - pacemaker list <m+pacemaker at nerdish.us> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Klaus Darilion
> > <klaus.mailinglists at pernau.at> wrote:
> >>
> >> Recently I got hit by running out of inodes due to too many files in
> >> /var/lib/pengine.
> >
> > man pengine
> >
> > look for "-series-max"
>
> There is no pengine man page in the packages (pacemaker, heartbeat, or
> corosync) from the EPEL repo, nor online with the other online
> manpages at clusterlabs.  Am I missing it someplace?  I want to read
> about this as I have just under 7000 files in /var/lib/pengine on a
> node that has 7 days of uptime.  Will this grow unchecked, or do older
> files eventually get cleaned up?

Not sure what's up with the EPEL packaging, sorry.  The relevant bit of
that manpage is:

       pe-error-series-max = integer [-1]
           The number of PE inputs resulting in ERRORs to save

           Zero to disable, -1 to store unlimited.

       pe-warn-series-max = integer [-1]
           The number of PE inputs resulting in WARNINGs to save

           Zero to disable, -1 to store unlimited.

       pe-input-series-max = integer [-1]
           The number of other PE inputs to save

           Zero to disable, -1 to store unlimited.

So, yeah, by default unless you specifically limit it, it'll just keep
saving 'em.  They're invaluable for debugging failures, BTW.

Were those 7000 pe-inputs all created over that 7 day period?  Because
that's a transition every 1.44 minutes.  Is it just me, or does that
sound like a rather busy cluster?

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Serong <tserong at novell.com>
Senior Clustering Engineer, OPS Engineering, Novell Inc.