[Pacemaker] Stonith setup hostname params

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Fri Apr 1 05:05:29 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Dejan Muhamedagic <dejanmm at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 09:41:26AM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

>> > The fact that the shell has this feature doesn't mean that it
>> > should be misused. It was meant mainly for one-off management
>> > commands (such as "resource stop" or "node standby") and only
>> > very seldom for one-off configuration commands. There's a
>> > plethora of things which can go wrong when used for
>> > configuration directly from the command line. It also makes the
>> > cluster work harder because every invocation has an implicit
>> > commit and the changes immediately take effect.
>>
>> There are, as CTS shows, ways around that.
>
> You mean using CIB_file? Yes, that's one possibility, though I'm
> not sure how many people know about it. Another would be to do
> the changes in a shadow CIB.
>
>> > Because of that
>> > the user also must pay attention to the order of configuration
>> > elements which otherwise isn't necessary.
>>
>> Can you define constraints for resource's you've not defined yet?
>> What about clone or group resource's that are also not yet defined?
>>
>> (If yes to either, that sounds more like a bug than a feature)
>
> What I meant is this: If you stuff all the configuration into a
> file and do "configure load" or just feed it to "crm configure",
> the order of elements in the file does not matter as long as all
> referenced elements are presents at the commit time.
>
>> > It's a bit like taking
>> > apples one by one from your garden into the house, instead of
>> > bringing over a box of apples. Just worse than that. I could go
>> > on, btw.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but this is all a pretty weak argument.
>> Not that I consider proper quote escaping the crm shell's problem, but
>> the ability to script the creation of a config is quite important.
>
> The proper way to script a configuration would be by way of
> here-document or similar.
>
>> What about adding some additional sanity checking for the params section?
>> It should be pretty easy to spot (and warn about) entries not of the
>> form "name=value" which would be indicative of a quoting error.
>
> Unfortunately, CIB allows a parameter to be defined but not have
> a value, that's why a token by itself within parameters is
> considered to be this case.

True, but almost no-one uses that intentionally - thats more of a node
attribute feature.
If you see $name by itself and there is no $name parameter advertised
in the metadata - its highly likely that there's a quoting issue.

You could require the syntax for that to be name= instead of just name though.
But anyway, thats why I suggested producing a warning rather than
always trying to fix it.