[Pacemaker] target-role changing from Master to Started

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Nov 18 11:15:20 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 09:28:06AM +0100, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Rick Kint <rwkint at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello --
> >
> > We've experienced a weird problem 3 times in the last month on different
> > clusters.
> >
> > Environment:
> > - Pacemaker 1.0.9.1-1
> > - Corosync 1.2.5-1
> > - RHEL5.4
> > - 2 nodes
> >
> > We run a simple configuration with a master/slave resource, appended below.
> >
> > Three times we have found different clusters in a state where both
> > instances are slaves and Pacemaker seems perfectly happy with this.  Looking
> > at the configuration (cib.xml) reveals that the target-role attribute for
> > the master/slave resource has changed from Master to Started.  Changing the
> > value of this attribute back to Master fixes the problem immediately.
> >
> > Any ideas what might be causing this?  Nobody is doing it manually.
> >

> Sorry to say this, but they are.
> No part of the software manually changes target-role.
>
> Options are:
> 1) human
> 2) cron job
> 3) resource agent

I suggest someone thought that "crm resource start"
would be the inverse of "crm resource stop",
but in fact it is not...

try "crm resource promote" for ms resources, or even better,
"crm resource meta <resource-id> delete target-role", which reverts it
to the respective defaults and thus in fact is the inverse of
"crm resource stop" for all resource types.

--
: Lars Ellenberg