[Pacemaker] Infinite fail-count and migration-threshold after node fail-back

Dan Frincu dfrincu at streamwide.ro
Thu Nov 11 07:04:59 EST 2010

Hi,

Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Dan Frincu <dfrincu at streamwide.ro> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've managed to make this setup work, basically the issue with a
>> symmetric-cluster="false" and specifying the resources' location manually
>> means that the resources will always obey the location constraint, and (as
>> far as I could see) disregard the rsc_defaults resource-stickiness values.
>>

> This definitely should not be the case.
> Possibly your stickiness setting is being eclipsed by the combination
> of the location constraint scores.
> Try INFINITY instead.

I understand your point and I believe also this to be the case, however
I've noticed that by specifying symmetric-cluster="false" for each
resource I need to add 2 location constraints, which overcrowds the
config, and if I want (and hope) to go to a config with multiple servers
and resources, each with specific rules, then also adding location
constraints for each resource is an overhead which I'd rather not
include, if possible.

Thank you for your reply, I will take it under advisement.

Regards,

Dan
>> This behavior is not the expected one, in theory, setting
>> symmetric-cluster="false" should affect whether resources are allowed to run
>> anywhere by default and the resource-stickiness should lock in place the
>> resources so they don't bounce from node to node. Again, this didn't happen,
>> but by setting symmetric-cluster="true", using the same ordering and
>> collocation constraints and the resource-stickiness, the behavior is the
>> expected one.
>>
>> I don't remember seeing anywhere in the docs from clusterlabs.org being
>> mentioned that the resource-stickiness only works on
>> symmetric-cluster="true", so for anyone that also stumbles upon this issue,
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> Dan Frincu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since it was brought to my attention that I should upgrade from
>>> openais-0.80 to a more recent version of corosync, I've done just that,
>>> however I'm experiencing a strange behavior on the cluster.
>>>
>>> The same setup was used with the below packages:
>>>
>>> # rpm -qa | grep -i "(openais|cluster|heartbeat|pacemaker|resource)"
>>> openais-0.80.5-15.2
>>> cluster-glue-1.0-12.2
>>> pacemaker-1.0.5-4.2
>>> cluster-glue-libs-1.0-12.2
>>> resource-agents-1.0-31.5
>>> pacemaker-libs-1.0.5-4.2
>>> pacemaker-mgmt-1.99.2-7.2
>>> libopenais2-0.80.5-15.2
>>> heartbeat-3.0.0-33.3
>>> pacemaker-mgmt-client-1.99.2-7.2
>>>
>>> Now I've migrated to the most recent stable packages I could find (on the
>>> clusterlabs.org website) for RHEL5:
>>>
>>> # rpm -qa | grep -i "(openais|cluster|heartbeat|pacemaker|resource)"
>>> cluster-glue-1.0.6-1.6.el5
>>> pacemaker-libs-1.0.9.1-1.el5
>>> pacemaker-1.0.9.1-1.el5
>>> heartbeat-libs-3.0.3-2.el5
>>> heartbeat-3.0.3-2.el5
>>> openaislib-1.1.3-1.6.el5
>>> resource-agents-1.0.3-2.el5
>>> cluster-glue-libs-1.0.6-1.6.el5
>>> openais-1.1.3-1.6.el5
>>>
>>> Expected behavior:
>>> - all the resources the in group should go (based on location preference)
>>> to bench1
>>> - if bench1 goes down, resources migrate to bench2
>>> - if bench1 comes back up, resources stay on bench2, unless manually told
>>> otherwise.
>>>
>>> On the previous incantation, this worked, by using the new packages, not
>>> so much. Now if bench1 goes down (crm node standby `uname -n`), failover
>>> occurs, but when bench1 comes backup up, resources migrate back, even if
>>> default-resource-stickiness is set, and more than that, 2 drbd block devices
>>> reach infinite metrics, most notably because they try to promote the
>>> resources to a Master state on bench1, but fail to do so due to the resource
>>> being held open (by some process, I could not identify it).
>>>
>>> Strangely enough, the resources (drbd) fail to be promoted to a Master
>>> status on bench1, so they fail back to bench2, where they are mounted
>>> (functional), but crm_mon shows:
>>>
>>> Migration summary:
>>> * Node bench2.streamwide.ro:
>>>  drbd_mysql:1: migration-threshold=1000000 fail-count=1000000
>>>  drbd_home:1: migration-threshold=1000000 fail-count=1000000
>>> * Node bench1.streamwide.ro:
>>>
>>> .... infinite metrics on bench2, while the drbd resources are available
>>>
>>> version: 8.3.2 (api:88/proto:86-90)
>>> GIT-hash: dd7985327f146f33b86d4bff5ca8c94234ce840e build by
>>> mockbuild at v20z-x86-64.home.local, 2009-08-29 14:07:55
>>> 0: cs:Connected ro:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r----
>>>   ns:1632 nr:1864 dw:3512 dr:3933 al:11 bm:19 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1
>>> wo:b oos:0
>>> 1: cs:Connected ro:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r----
>>>   ns:4 nr:24 dw:28 dr:25 al:1 bm:1 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0
>>> 2: cs:Connected ro:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r----
>>>   ns:4 nr:24 dw:28 dr:85 al:1 bm:1 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0
>>>
>>> and mounted
>>>
>>> /dev/drbd1 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
>>> /dev/drbd0 on /mysql type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
>>> /dev/drbd2 on /storage type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
>>>
>>> Attached is the hb_report.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>

>> --