[Pacemaker] Design: 8 vs 4x2 nodes Cluster

martin.braun at icw.de martin.braun at icw.de
Thu Mar 18 06:32:33 EDT 2010

Hi there,
I want to realize a rather complex setup, so I have a couple of questions:

The cluster (as a shared nothing variant) should provide:

* 4 services (=server) depending on each other.
* 3 of them can only be realized as active/passive failover, synched with
DRBD (M/S)
* The servers running the application will be Virtual Machines. So I will
end up with three master-slave pairs each providing a VIP with a shared
drbd-device in a master-slave setup.
Most resources could only run on one of two distinct server nodes
(active/passive). In sum I will have eight nodes resp. VMs
Would you recommend the administration of all nodes with a common
corosync/pacemaker cluster?
I am a bit afraid of having too many location and collocation constraints
for all these resources. Is there a way to define subclusters? How would
one bind a resource group to specific nodes - as a constraint to
hostnames?

Or would it be better to have 4 two node clusters communicating on
disjunct/ subnets, with the advantage of a less complex crm configuration?

Is there a neat method to administer four separate clusters from a console
or workstation?
Without introducing a new SPOF?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

InterComponentWare AG:
Vorstand: Peter Kirschbauer (Vors.), Jörg Stadler / Aufsichtsratsvors.: Prof. Dr. Christof Hettich
Firmensitz: 69190 Walldorf, Industriestraße 41 / AG Mannheim HRB 351761 / USt.-IdNr.: DE 198388516