[Pacemaker] DRBD and fencing

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 01:32:05 EST 2010

Florian Haas wrote:
> On 03/09/2010 06:07 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Let's say have a two-node cluster with DRBD and OCFS2, with a database
>> server that's supposed to be active on one node at a time, using the
>> OCFS2 partition for its data store.
> *cringe* Which database is this?

Postgres.

Why are you cringing? From my reading, I had gathered this was a pretty
common setup to support failover of Postgres without the luxury of a
SAN. Are you saying it's a bad idea?

Mmm, you're not:
http://fghaas.wordpress.com/2007/06/26/when-not-to-use-drbd :-)

Or is it OCFS2 you're objecting to? We're using this because there are a
few shared files ("blobs" in our CMS) that get written by processes on
both nodes. This is very infrequent, though.

Also note that this database will see relatively few write transactions
compared to read transactions, if that makes a difference.

Martin