[Pacemaker] Properly fencing Postgres

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 21:47:37 EST 2010

Hi Dejan,

Thanks for all the help!

>>> The problem with lights-out devices such as DRAC is that if they
>>> lose power then fencing doesn't work. But if you have them
>>> connected to UPS which is reliable then DRAC should be OK.
>> Yeah, it's backed up by a diesel generator, so that should be fine, I guess.
>>
>> On the other hand, if the power supply blows up on the server, it
>> may still go wrong. That's probably acceptable risk, though.
>
> Well, probably not. I hope that your servers have dual power
> supplies. Those things do tend to break. Some lights-out devices
> come equipped with battery too.

They should have dual PSUs, at least

>> Hence, we don't have init scripts, but I've written them before, so
>> I'm assuming writing basic OCF scripts wouldn't be that hard.
>
> Nope, though you have to make sure that they actually work ;-)
> There's also an RA which is called "anything" and may run any
> daemon or process (hence the name :)

Yeah, I found that. That's probably where we'll start.

> All this reminds me of LVS or similar. But if the slave can't
> serve requests, don't get the point of it. To start faster?

The slave serves requests from the Zope instances, which are part of the
load balancing algorithm in HAProxy. HAProxy is only active on one node
and would fail over to the slave node only if it failed on master. Ditto
with Postgres + memcached.

Martin