[Pacemaker] DRBD Management Console 0.6.0

Rasto Levrinc rasto.levrinc at linbit.com
Mon Mar 8 13:13:24 EST 2010

On Mon, March 8, 2010 3:30 pm, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2010-03-02T13:12:25, Rasto Levrinc <rasto.levrinc at linbit.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks lmb. I see a place for Hawk as a lightweight tool to quickly
>> make some changes and I could even somehow integrate in the DRBD-MC.
>
> "Integrate"? I'm not sure how that would work though, since they're
> completely different code bases and programming languages, and also
> different in deployment mode?

I am aware of that. :) I thought about something like optionally
installing it from the DRBD-MC and starting the browser with it or
something like that.

> The main problem I see is the need for ssh login as root. This makes
> drbd-mc inacceptable in some environments, such as US military
> installations (or other places with weird rules like that). And, of
> course, it can lead to firewall issues. If you have the chance, limiting
> the number of open connections/ports needed to the server(s) is a
> worthwhile goal for the future.

Well you can log in as a user if you have permissions for the commands
that are required, but you probably know that... The SSH part of the code
and the commands used to operate on Pacemaker are logically separated from
the rest of the code, so it is quite easy to change this or offer a choice
to use something else, if such need arises.

>>> Do you plan to implement support for the utilization functionality?
>>>
>> Yep, but it is not high priority at the moment.
>>

> Too bad, since it is extremely useful for Xen environments in
> particular.

I still trying to make the basic things to work, but I should get to this
pretty soon.

>>> With the name you've chosen, you're sort of implying that you're
>>> mostly focused on DRBD, whereas the actual code is much broader ...
>>> have you considered calling it something more generic?
>> I wanted to throw some Pacemaker pictures inside for some time, but I
>> think the name should not change, since we are Linbit. :)
>
> Well, linbit-mc I would have no problem with, but "drbd-mc" strikes me
> as too limited ;-)

So far... :)

Rasto

--