[Pacemaker] DRBD Management Console 0.6.0

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Mar 2 05:49:42 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 08:36:32PM -0700, Tim Serong wrote:
> On 3/1/2010 at 11:16 PM, "Rasto Levrinc" <rasto.levrinc at linbit.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, March 1, 2010 12:10 pm, Cristian Mammoli - Apra Sistemi wrote:
> > > Hi again...
> > >

> > > I tried adding a resource with DMC. My script needs 2 mandatory
> > > parameters: vmxpath and vimshbin
> > >

> > > In the gui i filled the field for vmxpath while vimshbin was already
> > > present because the resource agent has:
> > >
> > > <shortdesc lang="en">vmware-vim-cmd path</shortdesc>
> > > <content type="string" default="/usr/bin/vmware-vim-cmd"/>
> >
> > The question is, what the default here means. It is something that RA
> > would use if nothing is specified or it is suggestion for GUI, what to
> > offer as a default value. Obviously the DRBD-MC assumes the former and the
> > vmware RA the latter.
>
> IMO it's both :)  If the parameter is optional, default is the value the
> RA should use internally if no value is explicitly specified.

If a "mandatory" parameter has a default,
then I'd think it is no longer mandatory,
because, if not specified, it has its default
to fall back to.

Explicitly specifying a value that happens
to be the same as the default is fine.

But to _require_ that you explicitly specify
the default value makes it no longer a default, IMO.

Mandatory paramters in my opinion should be such paramters
that cannot possibly have a sane default, like the IP for IPaddr2.

Locations of binaries with the sane default of
"standard binary location" should not be mandatory.

But, if RA meta-data is specifying a parameter as mandatory AND gives
a default, which I'd argue is not really the smartest thing to do,
well, then, yes, I'd agree to this:

--
: Lars Ellenberg