[Pacemaker] Handling multiple attribute sets (cs#26435fdfd488)

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Wed Mar 10 10:24:16 EST 2010

Hi all, Dejan,

the above changeset aims to improve the behaviour with multiple
attribute sets - right now, the crm_resource et al complain that they
can't figure out which one to set, so the changeset simply
clears/updates all of them.

I disagree, for the following reasons:

First, I frequently have a "stop" attribute set on a specific resource
within a group to make the group start up only to that point; I don't
want that overwritten automatically. In fact, I might just want to
modify the group target-role, regardless of the value of its children.

Second, the instance attribute sets might be subject to different rules;
overwriting the attribute in all of them would be wrong.

I fear if the admin has created the situation of conflicting attribute
sets, it is the admins responsibility to a) remove them, or b) select
the specific attribute set they want modified.

I can see that a) would be supportable by a special command to clear the
target-role (or possibly any attribute) of children.

And both a) or b) might be offered as choices in the shell's interactive
mode.

But always automatically chosing 'a' seems wrong, and at least took me
by surprise.

Any comments?

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.