[Pacemaker] /.crm_help_index file (in system root aka /)

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] r.bhatia at ipax.at
Wed Jul 14 10:16:24 EDT 2010

On 07/13/2010 09:47 PM, Maros Timko wrote:
> The python crm scripts use os.getenv("HOME") to decide where to look
> for or store the history file. Some of the environments (cronjob or
> sudo) do have HOME set to "/".
> Try to prepend crm call with:
> export HOME=/root

ok, i think i found the reason:

we're monitoring our servers using the nagios nrpe server.

nagios-nrpe-server.preinst on debian lenny adds the nagios user via:
> adduser --system --group --no-create-home --home /var/log/nagios --quiet nagios

but this directory does not exist:

> # ls -ald /var/log/nagios
> ls: cannot access /var/log/nagios: No such file or directory
> # su - nagios
> No directory, logging in with HOME=/

we then use "sudo crm ..." to monitor the cluster and it's node, so
crm will re-build the index in $HOME which is /

changing nagios' homedir or creating /var/log/nagios fixes this issue.
.crm_help_index is then created inside this user's $HOME.

thanks for your advice and the valuable input.

would it be reasonable to use /tmp or /var/tmp in case that $HOME
resolves to / or in case that $HOME isn't writable by this user?
(or not create the .crm_help_index at all)

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OG          web.          http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            office at ipax.at
1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15