[Pacemaker] Node attributes

Johan Verrept Johan.Verrept at able.be
Tue Sep 8 10:21:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 15:37 +0200, Florian Haas wrote:

> Because crm_master is already there, it works, it is what is designed to
> be used as an interface for changing master preferences

As mentioned in my other post, it works as long as you do not have
multiple reasons to move your master. If you do, you limit the priority
space. This is not a problem in simple cases but it will be in more
complex configurations, especially when you have more than one RA using
crm_master and no ways to influence which priority values they assign
without modifying them (with all the upgrade fun that entails).

On my system, I have an external way to detect if my internet
connections are up or not. I have written a simple RA that hooks into
this and changes a node attribute between "online" and "offline". This
is then interpreted with a location rule. It works and allows me to keep
my priorities all within my cib.

It may be personal preference, but it seems cleaner to me. If this would
be the "official" way, the code to interpret the attributes as
priorities could just be removed. The price is more configuration.

> , and reinventing the wheel is a bad idea?

Only when it is perfectly round already... ;D

Cheers,

  Johan