[Pacemaker] Load-Balancing Confusion

Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk
Wed Sep 2 10:29:58 EDT 2009

Can anyone help me clear up my confusion with load-balancing /
load-sharing using Linux-HA please?

I've always used ldirectord/LVS with an IPaddr2 resource (not cloned),
collocated them and put the virtual IP address on the loopback of all
nodes. When the IPaddr2 resource starts on any node it will remove the
VIP from the loopback on that node. Traffic hits the node with the
IPaddr2 and ldirectord resources then gets redirected off to other nodes
on their lo devices as they don't ARP.

This has worked fine so far bar a few issues but I'm not sure I'm doing
it right.

I'm using lvs_support=true in my CIB to allow it to work but it doesn't
do what it says, it doesn't set the IP to the loopback device on a node
that isn't active, I have to do that myself. Should I be cloning the
IPaddr2 so it runs on both nodes? Would this need making into a
multi-state resource for this to happen?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just opened a can of worms with this,
all because I've just found I can't run more than one service on
127.0.0.1:80 so can't load balance more than one web server.

Thanks.