[Pacemaker] Low cost stonith device

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Oct 6 03:58:59 EDT 2009

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 02:39:19PM +0200, Florian Haas wrote:
> > And whether or not these node names are fully-qualified or not is
> > actually not up to the user, but depends on the distro used. That was my
> > point. :)
>
> On the contrary, all my (Debian) pacemaker nodes have their FQDN as the node
> name.  The distro may provide a default, but it is entirely within the power
> of the administrator to change that default.

Yes.
hostname (-s, -f) and uname differ in that
uname -n just does one syscall (uname),
and hostname (typically) does a gethostname(),
then a gethostbyname(), the result of the latter
heavily influenced by whatever is in your nsswitch,
resolv and other .conf, as well as what may be listed
in /etc/hosts, and the order of those entries ;)

Instead of doing clever guesswork,
surely those:

> 	http://www.aviosys.com/ip_power_9258hp.html
> > > PS: there are others too in this category of devices:
> > > http://www.server-rack-online.com/cw-2h2-c20.html

can be configured to use "arbitrary" names?

so if your uname -n does contain dots (FQDN),
you use that as label in the power switch,
and if not, there you are.

You just have to get it right then,
and the RA does not need to guess.

--