[Pacemaker] Possible error in iSCSITarget RA

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Thu Oct 1 14:09:52 EDT 2009

Am Donnerstag, 1. Oktober 2009 17:04:19 schrieb Florian Haas:
> On 2009-10-01 16:53, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 1. Oktober 2009 16:49:59 schrieb Michael Schwartzkopff:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am experimenting a little bit with the iSCSITarget RA, but without
> >> success. My resource is defined like:
> >>
> >> primitive resIET ocf:heartbeat:iSCSITarget \
> >>   params additional_parameters="Path=/dev/drbd0" iqn="iqn.1.2"
> >>
> >> The problem ist that the resource fails at start.
>
> That's not a valid IQN, you know that, right? And then of course a Path
> parameter is something that a Target really can't deal with.

This is a shortenized version. In the real setup I used a real one.

> >> Looking through the RA I found the follwing commands beeing executed:
> >> ietadm --op new --tid=1 --params Name=iqn.1.2
> >>
> >> This is OK.
> >>
> >> the next command is:
> >> ietadm --op update --tid=1 --params Path=/dev/drbd0
> >>
> >> Here the log file says:
> >> Command output: Unknown parameter "Path"
>
> Expected. See above. Targets don't know about paths.
>
> >> When I enter the command manually I get the same error.
> >
> > The command
> > ietadm --op new --tid=1 --lun=0 --parameters Path=/dev/drbd0
> > does the trick.
> >
> > @Florian: Howto include this into the RA? Basically: Where do I get the
> > "lun" from?
>
> You've fundamentally misunderstood the concept, I'm afraid. iSCSITarget
> just configures a Target (with an IQN, potentially a target ID, CHAP
> authentication, and other _target_ parameters). For setting up Logical
> Units (which is where the LUN and path info goes), you use
> iSCSILogicalUnit.

Since there is NO discription how to use the RAs I just started to play on my
own. That mean I try to understand the concept and draw ma conclusions from my
experience.

> In essence, you would normally create a resource group with exactly one
> iSCSITarget, and one or more iSCSILogicalUnits. And then you can have as
> many of those groups as you want, provided they all use distinct target
> IQNs.

Ah! That makes much more sense.

> Andrew, Dejan: is there any chance you could revitalize the
> pacemaker-doc repository, and change the mkradocs.sh bit so it can
> create its appendices from a checkout for agents, rather than from
> installed RAs? It seems it would help to have this hosted on a web site,
> so people can read the RA longdescs on the web somewhere.

Perhaps a README in the doc directory of cluster-agents would help for the
fist. But when you understood the concept then you also understand the longdesc
of the two agents.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42