[Pacemaker] crm_mon SMTP notifications - message corruption

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Sun Nov 15 14:10:55 EST 2009

On 2009-11-15T20:03:12, Michael Schwartzkopff <misch at multinet.de> wrote:

> > The full message was attached, so you can see for yourself.
> As far as I have learned SMTP messages headers include with a return-path,
> several receiveds, a date, a from a to and a Message-ID. At least.

Uhm, yes, and all of this is present in the attachment? You're not being
fooled by your mail client which renders the attachment, right? ;-) Try
the raw view of the message/rfc822 attachment, not just the text/plain
body.

> > > Can you count how many bytes the messages has including the messages
> > > header? Perhaps something rips the message off after 1024 byte?
> > This is not the case.
> Perhaps yes, if you count all the header info.

The whole attachment is only 1.8kb (even with all received headers), and
even so, the buffer which crm_mon allocates is 2048 bytes, so still
space.

> > The recipient host is a postfix mail server.
> Yes. And any Mail Interceptors or smarthosts on the way? I have seen
> especially Cisco PIX making considerable nonsense with SMTP connections. That
> was the basics of my question.

I should have been more precise. The SMTP host is a postfix server. And
no such mangling is going on in between.

> > I was asking if other people had seen this before, so can I assume that
> > SMTP alerts with crm_mon are working for you?
> Sorry, I never tried SMTP.

Thanks, then.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.