[Pacemaker] RFC: Compacting constraints

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 5 10:57:36 EST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:17:56PM +0100, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb at suse.de> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a pretty common use case - 4-16 nodes with OCFS2 etc, hosting a
> > ton of Xen/KVM guests.
> >
> > Compacting the OCFS2 setup was pretty easy -
> > http://www.advogato.org/person/lmb/diary.html?start=104 - and that part
> > seems short enough.
> >
> > For each guest, I need an order and collocation constraint with the base
> > resources, which becomes complex and lengthy very quickly. Just to
> > illustrate my point:
> >
> > colocation dummy1-c inf: base-clone dummy1
[repetitive stuff illustrating the point cut]
> > order dummy1-o 0: base-clone dummy1
[again]

> > There's a bunch of open issues (resource_sets not supporting score="0",
> > the crm shell not supporting resource_sets at all), but I'd even more
> > prefer if I didn't have to have both the order and collocation
> > constraints.
> >
> > Could we introduce an "conjoin" dependency which merges both?
>
> What about an ordered=(FALSE|true) attribute for colocation constraints?
>
>   first == rsc, then == with-rsc, *-action would be set based on the
> rsc(-with)-role

Would that work?

> I mean, we could create a new construct, but I'm worried it might
> cause (additional) confusion.

I think that such a construct would be useful, but I'm more
inclined to have it at the shell level and that it would actually
have predefined scores, e.g.

conjoin base-clone dummy1 [dummy2 ...]

would expand into those two constraints. No promises yet, since
I'm still not sure how difficult that would be to implement.
Expansion is obviously not a problem, but the other direction may
easily be one. Also, I think I'd prefer to have this as a very
simple and obvious construct, without any extra embelishments as
it has been suggested by Lars below. Simply because I believe
that there are just a few of such order/collocation combinations
which would be used.

"conjoin" sounds sort of funny to me (as a non-native speaker).
And, further, the existing constraints are all nouns, so this one
should be a noun too (though I'd really much prefer verb, but I
guess that it may be too late for that). I think I'll pick that
underused Roget's Thesaurus.

Thanks,

Dejan