[Pacemaker] Pacemaker Build Issues on CentOS 5.3 64-bit

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Thu Nov 5 06:47:00 EST 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Eliot Gable <egable at broadvox.com> wrote:

>  When building Pacemaker (1-0-78e8ab00359a) on CentOS 5.3 64-bit, I run
> into all sorts of errors. First, the compiler flag ‘-Werror’ is enabled. On
> CentOS 5.3, gcc issues a warning when you drop a const qualifier on a
> pointer, which Pacemaker code seems to do all over the place (why does it do
> that, btw? It breaks good coding practices);

It doesn't.
There are two (maybe three) places that I know do this and -Wcast-qual is
removed from the CFLAGS used for those files.

> so gcc terminates compilation of Pacemaker when encountering these issues.

I just compiled against EPEL-5 and the failure I get is

DEBUG: xml.c: In function 'string2xml':
DEBUG: xml.c:490: warning: argument 2 of 'xmlSetGenericErrorFunc' might be a
candidate for a format attribute
DEBUG: xml.c: In function 'filename2xml':
DEBUG: xml.c:626: warning: argument 2 of 'xmlSetGenericErrorFunc' might be a
candidate for a format attribute

Which is coming from -Wmissing-format-attribute - stupid option which I've
now disabled.
Once I did that, it built just fine with -Werror

>  Once I modify configure.ac to remove this flag and regenerate everything,
> I run into linking errors because the Makefile LIBS= line tells Pacemaker to
> use /usr/lib and /lib64 instead of /usr/lib64 and /lib64.

Possibly something from your machine?
It builds fine in a clean chroot.

> I tried to fix this in configure.ac, but I’m not really an expert when it
> comes to manipulating configure.ac files, so I couldn’t get it to work.
> Instead, I find myself manually modifying nearly every Makefile that gets
> generated to make it use /usr/lib64 instead of /usr/lib.
>

> If someone could fix these issues quickly, it would save everyone using
> CentOS lots of time and headache trying to make this work. J I would be
> more than happy to test any modifications for anyone willing to try to fix
> it.

You could also use the packages from:
   http://clusterlabs.org/rpm/epel-5/