[Pacemaker] Slave does not get become Master after unplugging power cable at master

hj lee kerdosa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:39:21 EDT 2009

Thank very much for the reply.

I tested it both stonith-enabled and no-quorum-policy. As Dejan pointed,
this is related to stonith-enabled. With stonith-enabled true (which is
default),
if I kill the master node, the slave stays as a slave, it seems expecting
something from stonith. With stonith-enabled false, the slave was promoted
to master.

The no-quorum-policy controls the behavior when the quorum is not enough.
With no-quorum-policy stop, when one of two nodes dies, the resources in the
other node get stopped. With no-quorum-poolicy ignore, when one of two nodes
dies, nothing happens. If master die, the slave stays as a slave. If slave
dies, the master stays as a master.

By the way during the test, no-quorum-policy works only in openais stack.
With heartbeat stack, there is no difference between no-quorum-policy stop
and ignore. It seems the heartbeat stack always behavior as no-quorum-policy
ignore.

Here are my new questions:
How does stonith detect the node was actually down? Doesn't it get this info
from the cluster stack? Does it have its own mechanism like pinging the
other nodes? Can stonith:external/ipmi detect the node is down? Which type
of stonith has this ability?

Always thank you very much
hj