[Pacemaker] Please Help - frequent cleanup is required for the resources on failover condition

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 17 07:35:19 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 07:38:39AM +0530, Abhin GS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The node1 was chocked due to a big "messages" file. we have fixed that
> problem in node1, then we ran a update for SLES11, every required
> patches were installed properly (service openais stop - was done before
> patching).  We have purposely switched off the node 2 during this
> exercise to avoid any complications.
>
> After the update, we have started the system back online (node2 was
> still kept off) and saw that the machine was refusing to function.
> analysis found that the systems update had changed the contents
> of /etc/hosts during update, node1 entry was taken out for some reason
> in node1 hosts file. Pacemaker showed all services to be down even after
> that fix. Couple of reboots - no help. I have attached forensics report
> (cib and messages) of node1 in node1.tar

Everybody'd be better of using hb_report :)

> Whilst , we have switched off node1 after our enthu levels went down and
> made node2 online. We were happy to see the things work well in it (we
> have adjusted the timings - no cleanup was required - though we tested
> this fact for only one reboot) - except the message node1 is offline. we
> copied this cib of node2 using cibadmin - Q, switched it off and
> switched on the node1 for cib injection.
>
> @ node 1 we have cleared the pacemaker config using cibadmin -E --force,
> then we injected the cib(after increasing the epoch values) using
> cibadmin -U -x cib.xml. service openais restart revealed the wonderful
> fact that node1 is still behaving the same way. no green signal except
> node1 DC.
>
> Heart broken we did a forensic evidence collection, switched of node1
> and made node2 online for further study on its remaining files. Volla -
> node 2 came up showing all red. no services running. only green i could
> see was node2 dc. Any way forensic was done. Files are attached herewith
> for your kind perusal.
>
> severely broken, there was no more energy left in us for this 5 week
> effort to bring up a HA cluster which will run postgres, apache on a
> virtual ip. decided to switch off the msa array - after switching off
> node2 (we lost hope in node 1 earlier).

Your fencing (stonith) doesn't work:

Aug 16 16:14:45 node1 stonithd: [3870]: ERROR: Failed to STONITH
the node node2: optype=POWEROFF, op_result=TIMEOUT

You'll find a bunch of similar messages. The cluster won't make
any progress in case it has to fence a node but it can't.

The timeout for stonith resources (st1/st2) is set to very low 5
seconds. Make that at least 1 minute.

Thanks,

Dejan