[Pacemaker] RFC: What part of the XML configuration do you hate the most?

Satomi TANIGUCHI taniguchis at intellilink.co.jp
Wed Sep 17 02:12:12 EDT 2008

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your opinion!

I have considered the way to modify each RA, of course.
But there are the following problems.

(1) Can't support the case that timeout occurs.
     Only lrmd can detect that timeout occurs. RA can't do this.
     One of the main purpose of this function is to avoid unnecessary F/O when
     sudden high load happened in very short time. In that case, monitor's
     timeout may occur. So, RA is not suitable to be implemented this function.
(2) A lack of generality.
     In that way, it requires all RAs which an user needs to be implemented
     this function. It is really troublesome.
(3) RA has to hold its information of failures outside of it.
     If you implement the same specification in RA, the information of
     a resource's failures has to be hold outside of RA.
     For example, in a file in /var/run/heartbeat/rsctmp.
     It causes unnecessary F/O.
     (For example, when the file is deleted or modified by hand, or failed to
      read/write, etc...)
(4) Monitor may take long time.
     I considered another specification. To check whether a resource is running
     or not several times (put in a sleep between them) in one monitor function,
     and to return NG only when all results of the checks are NG.
     (I think this specification is similar to yours...)
     But then, a monitor function becomes to take long time, and it influences
     the setting of monitor's timeout.

For the above reasons, I judged that it is better to implement this function in
lrmd.

Best Regards,
Satomi TANIGUCHI