[Pacemaker] [RFC] Splitting cluster.git into separate projects/trees

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 04:18:13 EST 2008

Hi everybody,

as discussed and agreed at the Cluster Summit we need to split our tree
to make life easier in the long run (etc. etc.).

We need to decide how we want to do it and there are different
approaches to that. I was able to think of 3. There might be more and I
might not have taken everything into consideration so comments and ideas
are welcome.

At this point we haven't really settled how many (sub) project will be
created out of this split. This will come once we agree how to split.

= first approach =

We maintain cluster.git as single entity with all source code in one
place. We change the build system in such a way each single component
can be released standalone (similar to how it was done in the RHEL*
branches).

Pro:
 - preserve current development model.
 - allow release of separate tarball for each (sub) project.
 - external users don't need to build the whole tree for one (sub)
project.

Cons:
 - move all the burden to the build system (by duplicating tons of
stuff, maybe solvable but needs investigation) and release manager.
 - tagging for releases will require changes as it's not possible to tag
only one (sub) project.

= second approach =

We maintain cluster.git as single entity. Each (sub) project would
become a separate branch.

So for example all the gnbd code will be branched into master-gnbd (and
so on for all the others).

Checking out one specific HEAD will only show the code for that project.

Pro:
 - cleaner look at the tree.
 - partially preserve current development model (still easy to cherry
pick changes between branches)
 - external users don't need to build the whole tree.

Cons:
 - more expensive branch management.
 - tagging for releases will require small changes.

= third approach =

We copy cluster.git N times for each (sub) project, clean the master
branch to match only that (sub)project.

Pro:
 - very clean tree from checkout
 - each (sub) project is really separated and will have its own
identity.
 - external users don't need to build the whole tree.
 - easier to fine tune access to each single component (for example we
can allow user foo to access dlm but not gfs... or whatever combination)

Cons:
 - more complex process to perform cherry-pick between branches.
 - higher risk to commit fixes in one branch and forget in another.
 - requires a lot more developer attention.

Fabio