[ClusterLabs Developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: Pacemaker scripts for Oracle

Golding, Adrian (Senior Database Engineer) Adrian.Golding at sky.uk
Wed Jun 14 09:17:27 EDT 2023

Hi Ken,

I had a look there and it just confused the heck out of me.  I don’t think a pull request is for me.  I'll just explain my issue/query and maybe you can post it on somewhere or let me know how and where I should...

Here we go: -

When you create an Oracle Listener (oralsnr) resource with "pcs resource create", one of the parameters it requires is "sid" and the documentation asks you to enter the ORACLE_SID for that.

I think this should be changed to ask for a "TNS Entry" because...

1) All the oralsnr script does is tnsping that value so we should be able to call it what we want and create an appropriate tnsnames.ora entry for it.
2) Using the ORACLE_SID is not ideal as there may already be a tnsnames.ora entry bearing that name and using it for dual purposes is dangerous (what if someone decided it was no longer required and removed it?).
3) It makes no sense to use the ORACLE_SID, that is the database identifier.  This is the listener so if anything the listener name would be more appropriate.

In practice there doesn't seem to be any problem setting any desired value for "sid".  I have been using the listener name as it makes more sense and I can then have a dedicated tnsnames.ora entry with that name (it can be a simple one without any connect data clause as nobody/nothing will be using it for a database connection) therefore avoiding any risk of it being accidently removed or of it being used for other purposes.

My problem is, people are averse to doing this because it goes against what the documentation says, despite the fact it makes much more sense to do as I have described above.

Therefore, I think this is really just a documentation issue and I think it should be amended to state that "sid" should be the name of a (dedicated) tnsnames.ora entry for the service to tnsping.

Cheers,
Adrian.